Friday, August 1, 2014
MAJOR anti-Israel / Pro-Palestine rally
There is a MAJOR anti-Israel / Pro-Palestine rally scheduled for ( ) at the Federal Building on Wilshire Blvd.
· There are between 1000 and 4000 people expected at this event.
· LAPD will most likely have a major presence at the event.
Things to consider:
· The recent events and rallys in Paris, London, Boston, Chicago, etc…
§ Several of these events have spilled over and turned into violent encounters away from the rally area.
· Several recent “suspicious” packages left at Valley Shuls
· Olympic and Pico Boulevards are a major (non-freeway) arteries toward the federal building.
· A start time coincides with people traveling to the event near the time of conclusion of Shabbat services.
· Shuls such as Sephardic Temple and Sinai Temple need to be extra vigilant as they are obviously closer to the scheduled event.
· Hancock Park should also be extra vigilant due to the Shabbat “dress code.”
· I urge all shuls and synagogues to “beef up security.” Supplement any in-house security with volunteer “rovers.” Be Visible and watch the street.
o Deterrence is better than confrontation.
o Be aware of suspicious packages.
o Be aware of bright green hats or clothing.
o Review your trespassing policies and know that “for security” reasons, a person may be denied entrance and asked to leave.
§ Do not hesitate to call “911” if there any sort of threat.
· Even though it is Shabbat, please consider keeping a cellular phone on and accessible.
· Do not hesitate to call “911” if you see something suspicious or you are concerned for your safety or the safety of others.
o Most cellular phones will ring to the local police department.
· Hatzolah and LA Shmira should also consider making themselves known to local Shul security. They should probably speak with their Rabbinical council to decide if they should consider carrying cellular phones.
· Walk in larger groups night and morning.
MOST IMPORTANT - BE VIGILANT !!!
Look around. If you see something, say something !